In Other Words




Fly me to the moon, and let me play among the stars, let me see – I want to see – what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars, in other words…

The phrase in other words suggests the presence of two lexical layers that share a meaning but appear different: Let me play among the stars means in other words, darling, I love you. In this way, one set of words or images can serve for another, acting as a mask over the original, enhancing its emotional or aesthetic impact while revealing something of its integral nature. Writing the lyrics for Fly Me to the Moon in 1954, Bart Howard used a celestial metaphor or mask to reveal love. Julie Born Schwartz’s film installations use constellations of images adjacent to the subject; images that function as masks through which the actual subjects – love, death, and memory – emerge.


Film still from Born Schwartz (2011) Fly Me to the Moon film 9 mins 05 sec looped, colour, stereo sound, 4:3


excerpt from In Other Words, a forthcoming essay on artist filmmaker Julie Born Schwartz due to be published in Munich in September 2012.