campo san lorenzo






film installation  

Allies & Morrison, 85 Southwark Street, SE1 0HX – Friday 2nd December 2011






During two months working for the Arts Council of Wales at the Venice Biennale this summer, I filmed everyday life in a neglected square called Campo San Lorenzo. The Campo contains a ruined church, a lap dancing club, a house for stray cats, and a nursing home. Life in the Campo seems to run at a different pace from that in much of Venice, and gradually I made a portrait of the space and how it operates at different times of day and night.

On the 2nd December I will screen Campo San Lorenzo at Allies & Morrison Architects' office in central London. I am interested to see how my film about a peculiar and rather grubby square in Venice will perform in the context of the office, and alongside the practice's architectural models of spaces and buildings very different from those in the film.